Clean Up, Dumpster and Chow Down Day September 28th (Whole Building)Written by admin on Sep 10, 2019 in - No Comments
3100 Park Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55407
Hi all, Start preparing now for our church-wide CLEAN UP, DUMPSTER and CHOW DOWN DAY on Saturday, September 28th 10 AM – 2:30 PM. See the ‘How’ section for tips on how to prepare.
What? a much needed clean-up of all team-specific and shared storage areas, retaining only what REALLY needs to stay! And a fantastic lunch, plus snacks and beverages throughout the day.
Who? all staff and teams! All storage areas, closets, and cabinets.
• Over the years, we accumulate a lot of stuff that no longer supports current or emerging ministry needs. We all have lots of stuff that fit that description.
• Our recent fire code inspection requires us to move everything stored in the attic that is combustible to a different storage area/s.
• We’ll have room to store everything that’s REALLY necessary if we sort and reduce everywhere.
• Better organized and more efficient storage makes it easier for everyone.
• It’s time! I guarantee you’ll find things that haven’t seen the light of day for years. How it happens:
‘…gee, maybe we’ll need it someday’
‘…gee, we have no idea whose this is, so we’ll just leave it here’
‘…gee, does that ministry even exist anymore?’
How? some tips,
• Start sorting and labeling now. Especially for the larger teams, it can’t be done in one day. Parse it out, one storage area and one closet at a time.
• Approach the task with the attitude of the theme song from ‘Frozen’ ‘Let it go, Let it go, Let it go!
• Start with where the greatest opportunity is; you likely already know where that is. 🙂
• Use Post-it notes to identify what you can donate, sell or recycle…and start removing those items from the church. If you need help with hauling loads to donate or recycle, let me know. If you have a truck or trailer and can share hauling with other teams, let them know.
• Identify what is simply dumpster worthy. Mark it as such and dispose of it on September 28th.
• We’ll have a special large dumpster on site on September 28th and a special lunch and snacks throughout the day to keep!
o NOTE: please don’t start throwing things in our general dumpster or recycle containers; we’re routinely dumpster-capacity challenged from all our normal activities, and special pick-ups are costly– $300 per time off-schedule! That’s why we’re culminating with a planned dumpster day on September 28th for all teams.
Stay tuned for more tips and information on donation locations, recycle options and shredding support. If you have additional tips, share them with everyone! There are lots of great approaches to sorting and reducing.
Thanks for your collaboration on this much needed clean-up! Let me know if you have questions.